Monday, February 25, 2008

Concerts!

So apparently I have some readers, sweet. Thought I should update about what has happened since last time.

Last Sunday the four girls from this apartment and a friend from school went to catch a movie. We went to Union Square and decided to see Juno, it started at like 10:30 pm or something, but hey, we're in New York, sleeping is for losers. It was really good, I loved it. We got home at around 1am and two of us had school at 10 the next day. We managed though.

We had our first Human right classes, with our very pregnant (and adorable!) teacher. It was more interesting than expected. We talked a lot about genocide and on Tuesday our class went to a debate at NYU School of Law about genocide and media. My mind flew elsewhere, but what I caught was edumacating.

On Wednesday the whole school went to see The Color Purple on Broadway. We read the book for American Topics. The musical was great, I really enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for musicals, so. Wish I had the money to go to some more. Maybe I'll get mom to pay when they get here, haw. I think I saw Jerry Springer outside the theater, it certainly looked a lot like him. My first celebrity sighting, haha.

We eat a lot of peanut butter. Ok-tasting cheese is "expensive", and that's kinda all the "pålegg" they have here. Nothing here is expensive for us though, but you probably get what I mean anyway. I love the low dollar rate, it's my favorite thing in the world.

Another thing I also love is when people ask me for directions. Maybe I don't look as lost as I really am. Nah, I'm not always lost. Today I wasn't.

Today I went to Lower East Side or East Village to find this concert place to get my ticket for the The Wombats concert that I ordered yesterday, but it was closed. No hurries, the concert isn't until April I think.
I went to the same neighborhood yesterday evening to catch a concert with three tiny bands. These bands to be exact:
Aviation Orange (http://www.myspace.com/theaviationorange)
With Impurity (http://www.myspace.com/withimpurity)
Rattling Cages (http://www.myspace.com/rattlingcages)

The bass player from the last band told me about it in an IRC channel. The first band was awesome and they're playing around there again while I'm here, so I'll catch them again. The second band was crap, as metal is. The third band was cool enough. I'm not too fond of screaming in music, but it's cool sometimes. The vocalist had a mustache that I grew a love/hate relationship to. But then he spoke some kind of East European language and that sorta won me over.

I did get lost on my way there, the location was one block away from the subway stop, I of course went to opposite direction for four blocks. I almost went in to a bar that showed the Oscars because Jon Stewart was the host and I wanted to see it. But I went back to the subway station instead, 'cause they had a map. And this time I found it, phew. Too late to catch all the songs of the first band, but I caught an okay amount. I already knew I'd like them because of their myspace page.

On Friday the other girls here went to a concert at Apollo in Harlem, I was home alone, that was nice. Didn't really do anything special, but it's nice to be alone sometimes. On Saturday evening we went to Brooklyn with a friend that lives there, we ate and hung out at some bars. Danced and had fun.

Sometimes when I'm walking around alone, I suddenly realize where the hell I am and I just grin and grin.

I have bought two concert tickets besides the one I was going to pick up today. Kate Nash(!!!!!!!!!!) who's playing in April, and Fred Armisen who is playing this Thursday! Wooo!

Oh oh oh! On Friday I went downtown by myself and went to Rockefeller Plaza and the NBC Experience Store. I bought a Dick in a Box t shirt (HEART) and some NBC pens. Aaaah NBC. And I finally got around to sending some post cards, but not all. Let me know if you want one.

And I did buy new shoes! Brown and blue vans. The second time I wore new shoes, and the second time someone random asks me about them because they like them. I have good shoe taste.
I also have some new pictures on my flickr account: flickr.com/rompetaske

No comments: