Saturday, February 16, 2008

My week and whatnot

Second Saturday in New York. It's going well. School started on Monday, had philosophy (exphil) Monday and Wednesday, and American Topic Thursday. Human rights starts this coming Monday. American Topics seems very interesting, the main lecturer is very cool. It's about American culture in every meaning of the word. Immigration, music, sports, everything. Exphil is kinda boring so far, but I didn't really expect otherwise. We've talked about Sokrates and Platon.

Human rights seems kinda dry too, I'm not really interested in that kind of subject. But maybe it's okay, we'll see. We have to write an expectation letter for our human rights lecturers by Monday and we've gotten two big assignments that are due March 5 and 10, in exphil and human rights. We haven't even started with the curriculum for the assignments. I feel like this was a bad idea. Coming here for school. I don't like school. I'll probably manage alright, it's just boring and I'm not really motivated.

Besides school, everything is grrrreat. The first couple of days, our school had some arrangements for us. Not the very first day, then we got to settle down a bit in our new apartment and we found a Mexican place nearby where we ate. That was last Wednesday. On Thursday we had to register at school, then we went on a bus guide. It was cold, we sat on the roof of the bus. It was very cool though. Drove downtown and uptown of Manhattan. Saw the NBC building and other important buildings and Harlem and we stopped at a New York museum, wasn't very interesting, but it was warm. Afterwards we ate hamburgers and soup. I ate soup. And theeeen we had the rest of the day off, we probably went a little shopping, I don't remember.

Or maybe that was on Friday. Whatever. We had a welcome seminar at school one day, where the head master told us useful information and whatnot.
On Saturday we had a "rebus" sorta. Ended up at Sjømannskirken where they had waffles and grøt, mmm. Then we went on a boat trip around Manhattan with a grumpy guide. We saw the Statue of Liberty up close and Jersey City, and of course Manhattan. After that we took another bus guide, during night. Another crazyass guide, aiiiiight. We stopped in Brooklyn, right by the Brooklyn bridge and saw the famous New York Skyline at night, it was beautiful. I tried to take some photos, but I'm not a very good photo taker so all the pictures came out too blurry.

I, the three girls I live with and two other girls we've befriended went to eat in Chinatown one of those days. It was okay, probably not the best restaurant there, but we got rid of our hunger.

Last Sunday we had all day off, I went shopping with two girls. We walked all the way from Central Park north to downtown. We walk a lot. It's okay.

I've bought a pair of shoes, a hoodie, two t-shirts, a top, socks and underwear. Not on the same day, but yeah. And a phone! All of us have gotten American phones 'cause they are much cheaper to use than our Norwegian ones.

On schooldays after school, we haven't really done anything special. Walked around a bit, shopped some, seen new places. We're good at making our own dinner at home, cheaper that way.

I was walking around downtown by myself one day and thought I'd stop by the library to check my e-mail, but they were just closing so I didn't. I tried to find the toilet, but that wasn't easy and some guy thought I looked lost (which was very much correct) and helped me find it. He asked if I wanted to do anything afterwards and told me he'd wait. And he did. I said I just wanted to go home, and he asked where I lived and whatnot. It was kinda creepy, but he was just being nice and helpful really. He showed me some drawings he'd made, of naked women, and he gave me his number on a queen of spades card he said he had found. Told me to call him whenever I wanted to party. I said "yeah, maybe" and he said he liked the way I said that. He walked me to Times Square, just a couple of blocks away from the library and showed me what train to take home to where he thinks I live. He told me he thought I was attractive and luckily didn't join me into the station.

I didn't go home, I went to Brooklyn. To a Target there, to find a polaroid camera. But they were sold out.

On Thursday some of the girls at school had arranged a Valentine's Party. We went, it was very nice. I had a great time. Some of us got a little too drunk. Oh well.

I have every Friday off, wooo. One of the girls I live with who takes the same courses as me and another girl who also does, and I, went shopping in Harlem yesterday. We wanted to get a little more familiar with the surroundings here. I wasn't really in a shopping mood, so I didn't buy anything, but they did. And I got to see Harlem so it was nice anyway. Afterwards we joined the "another girl" mentioned above for taco at her place with the people she lives with and the people I live with and some other girls who also goes to our school. Ack, so many people to hold track off. After dinner, we hung out a bit there, then the rest of my apartment went home. I stayed a bit longer to watch a movie, we saw Shawshank Redemption. Then I went home. These people live like four blocks away from us, so I didn't have to go far. One of the other girls who was there lives in Brooklyn, she spent an hour getting home and she had to go alone. She got home safely, it just took a while.

I wanted to go to the the Kooks concert on Tuesday, but it was sold out. All of those I hang out with have tickets for a the Roots concert in Apollo Theater. I don't want to go. That's next Friday, I think. I'll manage.

Oh, speaking of Apollo Theater. We went to their weekly Amateur Night on Wednesday, where amateurs can sing or play or dance or do whatever and the audience decide who goes on to the next round. You clap or boo. It was very cool, we'll definitely go again. One of them step danced, that was awesome, he was so good.

Today's plans are probably including school work. I don't know what else. We talked about catching a movie at a theater last night, but didn't do it, maybe we'll do it today. And I want new shoes. Yes, another pair. We'll see, no hurry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooh, har de Target i nærheten?
Target og Walmart er stas!
Og spise på Olive Garden hvis du har det i nærheten, og liker italiensk..

Utenom det er jeg kjempemisunnelig, og håper at du har det fint :) Det virker sånn ihvertfall.
Tenk, "lille" du (du er jo ikke 11 lenger akkurat), er alene i NY!

Gisken Sofie said...

Nærmeste Target er i Queens hvis jeg ikke husker feil, så vil ikke akkurat kalle det i nærheten. Walmart har de ikke i New York, visstnok. Men K-Mart har de, der har jeg vært noen ganger. Kjøpte dyne der, mmmm.
Olive Garden har de vel, men jeg veit ikke hvor. Italiensk er yndlingsmaten!

Jeg har det fantastisk!